- The top three slots are occupied by football clubs.
- Forbes calculated the value of the teams based on equity, debt and stadium deals.
- NFL teams fill 60% of the top 50 slots, occupying 30 places.
- The 20 non-NFL teams in the top 50 include six from MLB, eight from football, four from NBA basketball, one from the NHL ice hockey league and one from Formula 1 motor racing.
The Top 5 list of Most valuable sports teams in the world, according to Forbes are:
1. Real Madrid C.F. – They are worth an estimated $3.44bn (£2bn).
2. FC Barcelona are in second place and are valued at $3.2bn.
3. Manchester United F.C. are third, with a value of $2.81bn.
4. New York Yankees – The MLB baseball team are valued at $2.5bn.
5. Dallas Cowboys – The NFL American Football team are worth $2.3bn.